Painting with Daniel Smith Oils

I’ve decided to do a series of paintings using a limited palette of oil paints from different manufacturers.  I’m starting with oil paints from Daniel Smith, a producer of watercolor and oil paints located in Seattle, Washington.  I’ve used and liked their watercolor paints, but their oils are relatively new to me.  Below is a photo of the palette I used for painting:

Clockwise from the top left are Hansa Yellow medium, Ultramarine Blue, Quinacridone Red, Terre Verte, Titanium white, and Yellow Ochre.  Notice the big pool of linseed oil separating out from the yellow ochre, almost as if the paint was not thoroughly mixed.  I’ve had this experience with several other tubes of Daniel Smith paint, and it’s bothersome.  The other pigments behaved well.  The Hansa Yellow is very transparent and seems to disappear in mixtures; I don’t like it as well as the Cadmium yellows that I usually use.

Here’s the beginning of the painting, showing the sky painted in and some of the other large masses painted.  The Ultramarine Blue with white made a nice pale sky and the ochre, with white and some red, duplicated the driveway well.
I used the blue, the red, the yellow and the ochre for the trunks of the trees, using white to create the highlights on the trunks.  The terre verte was a nice dark green for the conifers; mixed with the yellow it made good grass color.  The yellow with white and just a touch of the terre verte worked for the leaves, but I also used yellow and ultramarine blue for a darker brighter green.  For the dark shadows I used blue, red and some ochre.  Here’s the painting nearing completion, all painted with palette knife.  No solvents were used.
I liked the Daniel Smith Ultramarine Blue, Quinacridone Red (behaves much like Alizarin), and Terre Verte.  I found the Hansa Yellow (medium) easily covered up in mixtures and not nearly as bright as I would have liked.  The Yellow Ochre was a good color, both straight and in mixtures, but I was unhappy with all the linseed oil that separated and pooled on my palette.  I should mention, too, that I’ve had the caps on several tubes of Daniel Smith paint break; I would wish for studier caps, although when I complained they very kindly sent me replacement caps.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s